Saturday, August 14, 2010

He's Home!

Who would have thought that a battle with pancreatitis could last practically a week?  Getting into Hermann is fairly easy.  You can come by helicopter, ambulance, car, or just walk on in off the street.  Of course I'm not recommending it as some place to book your next outing, but if you need to - you can get there. Getting discharged is nearly impossible.  After they determined the pancreatitis earlier in the week, mom and dad started pressing them about his release.  He was so ready to go home, but each day came and went and at the end of the day he was still there.  The main treatment for pancreatitus is "Nothing By Mouth", and REST!  What part of that can't be done from home?  Actually, what part of that doesn't he already do?  Finally, we got word that he might be able to go home on Friday. Boy was he ready!  However it looked like Friday might turn to Saturday with still no release.   Last night around 11 he made it back to El Campo.  THANK GOODNESS!  Another night in the hospital might have landed him in the Psych Ward!   He's encountered these same hold ups each time he's been released.  The first time, I wanted to blame it on the fact that he'd been there for 9 months.  I don't know what excuse I can give for the other times, but I do know that next time something pops up he'll fight that trip to Hermann tooth and nail!  He's surely glad to be back home, and some healthier days ahead are definitely in the plan. How nice it would be to not have to go back until the next round of surgeries?

**The next round of surgeries are still some time away.  Duke did an evaluation during this stay, and determined that it's just not ready.  We were really hoping that the next surgeries would be soon, but unfortunately the waiting continues.

Monday, August 9, 2010


A trip back to Hermann was in order this weekend.  Some vomitting followed by tightness in his sides made him worry that something was amiss.  Yesterday morning they headed to Houston.  They could have taken their time (and packed more than just the TPN), because Sunday's turned to Monday and no assigned room, much less diagnosis.    All day was spent back in Emergency, but after midnight they were finally moved to Jones 6.  The X-Ray showed nothing, and we're still waiting on the official results of the CT Scan. 

More to follow when a definitive answer is reached.  Dad's ready for that definitive answer, because he's ready to head back home.  He clearly remembers just how hard it is to get released from that joint. 

On happier note:  Friday, Mom and Dad headed to the Magnolia area for Leslie (Greg's daughter) and Gary's wedding.  Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post soon!