Thursday, July 23, 2009

#87

Post from Ruthie:

Surgery went well yesterday, and everything is in order. In the afternoon Louie had physical therapy, and Jocelyn, our current therapist, changed it up a bit. She had him walk toward the door with a chair stop along the way. This was his first time to ever peek out into the hallway on his own feet. He did great --but it is hard! He appeared very steady and Jocelyn agreed that its not so much a matter of strength, but rather endurance. Every step is a victory though and I am proud of him beyond imagination. Somehow I think if the tables were turned, I might be much more whiny in this situation-- or either cry -- I'm a big crier. I am also amazed at the way he says "okay" to the therapists when they come in on surgery days. He is sore and still sleepy from anesthesia but he willingly does it. I would probably politely say "No, thank you." or just pretend to be sleeping where they couldn't wake me---- SO SAD..... That being said I have found my role helping with the process by initiating the exercises, helping get everything ready and rolling along the IV and oxygen tank. I am also vocally his biggest fan and cheerleader. Minor (in the big picture) but it works.

Next is what I believe to be true--THE BIG NEWS. Tomorrow Dr. Duke will start grafting again. Apparently, the wound is granulated to the point where the time is right and there is skin on the legs ready for further use. Of course plans are ALWAYS subject to change, but at this point it appears to be scheduled for tomorrow. Please pray that the graft will "take" successfully and everything will go well. I have every confidence in Dr. Duke' s ability--he has put much thought into Louie's case . Patience and precision describe him well. He too, however believes that he is the hands, but GOD is the healer. I can't think of a better team than that, so send up your heartfelt prayers. We will keep you posted--

Love to all, Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment