Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Down to the Last Drop

Exaggeration, because we know what "down to the last drop" really is and he's already been there. Today dad is getting 4 units of blood (the human body holds 10-12 units).

Lately dad has been really mellow. He's been sleeping a lot, he's more soft spoken, and just seemed to have lost some of his spark. Might he be depressed? Might something else be wrong? Mom's been offering every encouraging word she can come up with -- You've come so far, you can do it, you're getting better, I'm so proud of you, we'll play with the grand kids again, you'll take Tate for that tractor ride, you and Cayla will eat popsicles together...

Today there is an answer - it's blood (or lack there of). He's down 4 units. Back when he was in room 653 he wasn't feeling right and he was down 2 units - no wonder he doesn't have the energy to even change the channel on the TV.

Days like to today we cannot express enough thanks to everyone who has donated blood in dad's name (and all of you who organized those blood drives). Not long ago Suzanne gave a speech about blood donation to her summer school class. Preparation of this speech sparked an interest in exactly how much blood dad had used. We knew of the 52 units in the first night, and after that we knew he had more but we had no idea how much - 4 units here, 7 units there, and so on. When the number came back our jaws dropped. Anyone care to guess?
I think my guess was something around 105.

The number of units used since arrival at Hermann - 268 (as of a few weeks ago). Even a blood novice like me can easily recognize that that is a lot of blood.

When dad learned he'd be needing more blood his immediate reaction was "what happened to it?" Next was a sigh of relief. He remembers how much better he felt after receiving just two units, and he knows he'll feel better soon.

2 comments:

  1. Although we have never met, I learned about your story from a friend, and have marvelled at your strength as I continue to keep Louis and his family in my prayers. After donating blood today through the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center, I came home to read today's update with a prayer that Louis continues to improve. Your message reinforces the need for all of us, if we are able, to donate blood, and it made me even more grateful that I am able to do so. My prayer today is that Louis is feeling better soon and healing, slowly and surely, with easy passing moment. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Thanks for this really informative update; I had no idea. Still praying faithfully for Louis and the family.

    (I am a friend of Robin, who is a friend of Ruthie's; I used to live in EC and our family moved to Brazil 2 yrs ago.....this blog is the 1st thing I check each morning so I can update my prayers)

    ReplyDelete