Monday, March 9, 2009

Thankful for even the smallest progress

Mom was there for rounds this morning, and it made for a good start to the day.
  • Dad is still off of the pressors (and he has been for a few days now), meaning he's maintaining his own blood pressure. His blood pressure is still is somewhat borderline at times, but thus far when it drops a bit it recovers quickly enough. They've tried to take him off of the pressors before, but it has never lasted very long. We know that tomorrow he could quite possibly have to go back on them, but for now this is progress.
  • Next on the list - Hemodialysis! Another step in the right direction! Today they are going to try to change his dialysis to from continuous to intermittent. (every four hours)
  • Chest X-ray looked good today!
  • Cellulitus looks much better. They've tried so many antibiotics, and they actually told mom that they were running out of options. It appears that they've finally found the right one and it's working!
  • At Rounds this morning they actually said he was doing BETTER!

We know these are very, very small steps. So many times we get a little bit of good news, but it quickly gets over-shadowed by a high white blood cell count or a slow (or stopped) heart. To have four positive things mentioned during rounds is completely new to us. We know he has a very long road ahead, but of course what's most important is that he's still on the road.

We would love for him to really be able to communicate with us, but know that this will take time. I find much peace in the fact that we had a chance to talk to him in day following the accident when he was still a little more conscious. He was able to spell some words, and let us know that his mind is still sharp. I don't know if he'll remember any of this, but I do know that at that moment he knew we were all there with them and hopefully he found comfort in that. At times now, it seems that he might be trying to mouth something to us, or occasionally we get a nod, but it's almost like a dream for him. He does this while drifting in and out of consciousness. We like to think that he hears what we're saying (and we've actually started talking a little louder - since we know that his hearing isn't so great). Hopefully he does hear us, but if he doesn't I think it's therapeutic for us to tell him what we want him to know anyway.

Now I feel like this has rambled on and on, so I better stop. Everyone please keep praying that he can continue to have "BETTER" days. -- Tracy

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! It is great to hear such great news and it must feel just as great to share SO MUCH GREAT news. Our prayers continue and we see daily that they continue to be answered! I agree that I think your dad can hear you...keep talking to him...keep him updated and involved. Being in a bed hearing medical jargin all day gets old!! Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news. I hope it keeps coming! I will continue to pray. --K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, I'm sure you don't remember me from school, but that's not important right now. I have been keeping up with the progress on your father and the blog, and you really touched me today in your message. I don't feel like you were rambling. I do feel like you were venting to the people and friends that you know all care so much and you were speaking from the heart. I remember all tooo well what it was like when my brother shot himself in the head and how the nights and days were at the hospital. I just want to say hang in there sunshine because God does work in mysterious ways and you will be surprised what your dad can hear and how it may comfort his heart to hear all your voices, thoughts and prayers . My brother is still with us today and it has not ever been the same since before the accident, but God spared him for us for a reason and we are thankfull everyday for that. Stay positive sweetie because it will get better and better... the set backs are just God doing a little extra in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful...I am so happy to hear the 4 pros as well. I know that each small step will turn to larger ones. Stay stong and enjoy the "better" news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louis & Ruthie:

    You have never been far from my thoughts and prayers ever since I heard about the accident; I'm sorry such a tragedy happened to you, but I have come to believe that God sends hardships (or whatever term you might have for it) to those He is calling to be nearer to Him. It's the only way we can learn to trust Him completely. Take care. May God continue to bless you and your beautiful family and may He send Greg,too, the healing that he is so in need of receiving and so richly deserves.

    Sincerely,

    Judy (Shimek) Janecka

    ReplyDelete