Monday, June 13, 2011

All continues to go very well. Dad said yesterday, "if visitors come tell them to wake me up; I don't want to miss seeing anyone."  We laugh at this, because back in the early part of 2009 hundreds of visitors came and he wasn't awake to see any of them!  We are just so thankful to be having such a different ICU experience.  I could go on an on about how different it is.  First and foremost he's awake!  He's not telling mom "to go get his other wife".  He's not insisting that the nurses are all drug dealers who stash weapons in his bedding.  He knows who all of us are and he speaks coherently! 
He's been watching TV and flipping channels.  His only complaint is that he doesn't get the channels that play "westerns" all day.  I personally don't even remember them having a TV in their previous ICU rooms.  I hear that they did, but it never once was turned on.  I guess  I didn't realize that people back there actually watched TV.  I thought everyone was in "our boat"; making brief visits with little activity.  He's asked to have his cell phone at his bedside, but apparently that's against the rules.  He has many friends that he's ready to call!
They've spoke about trying to get him out of bed sometime toward the end of this week.  Undoubtedly this will be painful, but its progress that far supercedes the timeline I had in mind.  Recovery is off to a great start!

1 comment:

  1. It's just amazing and miraculous! I'm so glad to see all of the good news. :) --KGP

    ReplyDelete