Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Long Night but Still a Good Day

Dad didn't sleep much last night, meaning mom didn't sleep either. He'd told us that he hadn't slept in 4 days and we thought that it was just one of his absurd rants. Granted he dozes and rests some during the day, but he seems to be hit with insomnia after dark. Tonight we're hoping for a more restful night for both of them.

Mom is learning more about patient care than I'm sure she EVER thought she would need to know. Since moving to the floor, his nurse is very, very busy. I'm not sure how many patients she has, but there are lots of them. Mom has to wear many hats - nurse, therapist, and caregiver (just to name a few). Upgrading to the floor has put her on the move... quietly praying in the corner is a thing of the past... she's busy - all prayers must be quickly said on the go! She's learned about trach care, she sponges his mouth (which he likes done very often), she wipes his face, she holds his basin, she positions him, she rearranges his pillows, and of course she answers (or tries to answer) his many many questions. Most recently she has a new hourly task - ICE! Dad is thrilled about this privilege. He even made sure that mom turned the fan off, because he definitely didn't want any of his ice to melt. He gets 3 small cubes an hour, and he even made a deal with mom that if he should fall asleep and miss one of his turns, he'll get a little extra the next time. Whoever knew that ice could be so uplifting?

Dad had physical therapy today, and maybe it was the ice that gave him a little extra energy. Today he stood up (with a walker). He tried this a couple of weeks ago in therapy and he just couldn't. The therapist said today that they were going to do it two times and he not only did that, but said he wanted to do it a third time. It was hard work, but he did a really great job! After he was done, he got a serving of ice - a reward he was very happy with!

8 comments:

  1. That is WONDERFUL. Always glad to hear such positive news. --K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous news! I am in awe of how our heavenly Father equips us to do those things that He has prepared for us to do. Ruthie is being prepped for nursing duties and Louie is making progress in his recovery - praise God!

    "For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me Your shield of victory, and Your right hand sustains me; You stoop down to make me great." Psalm 18:31-35

    To God be the glory,
    Jeanne Elder

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the news we have all waited for and prayed would come. Louis and Ruthie are both very strong people with a bond between them that I have personally idolized as long as I have known them. (since early 1985)

    God is in their marriage, the way they raised their beautiful three daughters, the way they adore their grandchildren, their friendships, and their every walk of life.

    Knowing this couple and seeing their relationship has been truly a blessing.

    I watch this blog daily (well, many times a day sometimes) from Florida. While I don't live in El Campo anymore my heart is still with my forever friends.

    Ruthie...If Dennis was here, I know he would help you find the cardboard.

    Deb Murray

    ReplyDelete
  4. The power of prayer is amazing. The recovery rate is awesome. Ruthie and Louis are such a team. Go Team Go!!!
    Mary K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ICE! I will never look at ice in the same manner.

    What a testimony you have been to all of us. May we all live in the same manner.

    Praise be to God!

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Houston yesterday afternoon, so I stopped by to see Louie and Ruthie in their new room. I was absolutely amazed when we (myself, Lindsey and Lacy) entered the room! This is a man who has lots to say and is making up for lost time. He was exceptionally easy to understand and totally coherent. Immediately after we went in, he asked if Greg had come with us. Unfortunately, he wasn't with me yesterday, and I think he was disappointed. He said one of the first things he wants to do when he gets out is go riding in the pickup with Greg. We had a great visit, and shared a few ice cubes with him! He laughed when he said Father Gary had been there earlier and he had him bless his ice cubes. He's got a great sense of humor and I could tell he enjoyed having company. Not that everyone should all go at once, but if you're in the area, stop by and say hi. I know he'd love it. My day was made after I left there!

    Thank you again for all the prayers for our family as well as the Buzeks.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is amazing, I am so happy to hear he is doing so well and he walked wow, praise the lord!!

    Jenna Hooker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to clarify: He isn't able to walk, but standing was a huge accomplish and was yet another example of the progress he's made in just a couple of weeks. He's definitely making great strides and we know he'll walk in time!

    ReplyDelete