Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chris' Speech

For those of you who missed it, here is Chris' speech from last nights very successful benefit Dinner/Dance.


Good evening everybody, I'm Chris Perkins, Louie and Ruthie's son-in-law. I want to take a few minutes to thank all of you for coming tonight and showing your support for Louie. Please know that Ruthie would have loved to be here, but she wouldn't miss a minute at Louie's side, and I do believe that Dr. Red Duke might actually miss her if she were not anxiously awaiting his every update.
Since we are here to support Louie tonight, I wanted to take a few minutes and introduce you to some of the other people that your prayers have blessed, your generosity has inspired, and your kindness has graced. Louie and Ruthie have three beautiful daughters and two grandkids. My favorite and the first of his daughters is my wife, Tracy. We have a six year old daughter - Micayla, and a one year old son - Tate. Micayla prays for her Paw Paw every day and wishes for his speedy return to just being her Paw Paw. Tate simply misses his buddy, the guy with the moustache who rescues him from our female dominated family gatherings.
Bonnie is the middle daughter. She is by far one of the most strong willed people I have ever met, and as of somewhat recent history, one of the luckiest but most deserving people I know. We would be remiss to not mention her boyfriend Michael Kaspar. He has been around a long time and is considered part of the family. Anyone who can hold their own against Bonnie definitely deserves some family privileges. Last but not least is his baby, Suzanne. Suzanne is considered the favorite - a title that has never been disputed by Louie or Ruthie. Suzanne attends Texas A&M University where she majors in Accounting. She pretty much lives with Tracy and I in College Station, so much so that we have affectionately nicknamed her our "Foreign Exchange Student".
As I sat and wrote this speech, I set out to write the words that would give you a picture of who Louie Buzek is. It didn't really take long for me to realize that trying to explain to you who Louie Buzek is was unnecessary. You all came here tonight because you already know a great deal about Louie. It is those of us who have only known Louie for a few years that have the most to learn about this man.
You know, since I have known Louie I have always felt sorry for him. Mostly that is due to the fact that he has spent most of his life living with four women, female cats, and female dogs. You name it, the man has been surrounded by women most of his life. Being surrounded by women wouldn't cause most men to complain, but in Louie's situation, he has had to accept his lot in life and move on down the road.
In the time I have spent with Louie, I have learned from him that three things really matter: your faith, your family, and your friends.
Until I met Ruthie, I never really knew that you could pray so much about so many things. I have always assumed that God enjoyed quiet time and wished that she would leave him alone sometimes. It wasn't until Tracy and I were expecting Tate that I learned that Louie does have a strong prayer life. We had several reports of possible birth defects, irregular tests, and all sorts of other sidestreets to navigate, but in the end, Tate was born big, mean, and healthy. If Tate would have been here tonight, he would have been the kid that chewed the leg off your chair. Joking aside, Louie told Tracy that all during the pregnancy he and Ruthie prayed for Tate - and for that we are grateful. Nevermind the fact that Louie has also prayed for good grades on tests, favorable results in cheerleading tryouts, and whatever Ruthie or the girls strived for. If he believed it would make his family truly happy, he prayed.
I will tell you this - it is a fact this group is a tight knit family. Being an outsider to this clan can be flatly intimidating. I was raised an only child. I was excited to get married. I got a new Dad, a new Mom, two new sisters, a wife, and maybe - God willing - one day a new brother or two. That being said, taking in all this family can be a little overwhelming.
I'm smarter than I look and figured out early that Louie is a family man. He has always put Ruthie and the girls first, and that aspect of Louie I have always admired. He makes me want to be a better husband, father, and man. Louie is that type of a person - always there to do what he can. The type of man who isn't standing behind you, he's standing next to you - willing to give all he can. I am honored to be Louie Buzek's son-in-law.
For the family, thank you - you have provided an incredible support system. Since this accident you have been there, just because of who you are and what you mean to one another.
So far as friends are concerned, Louie's friends happen to be some of my favorite people as well. You have all been great. Louie finds true value in your friendship, and for you guys he would do anything. He is lucky to have friends like you, and you are lucky to have a friend like Louie. You guys are more than just friends, you're brothers - and I have never had to wonder why he loves you guys so much.
We can't forget to thank all of you who have never even met Louie and are here because you know Ruthie, the girls, or you just have that special sort of goodness in your heart. Family, friends, all of you who came here to show your support for Louie - Thank you all. We see that your prayers are working and appreciate you more than you know.
In closing, I am reminded that the true measure of a man is not by what he has, but by his family and friends. By that measure, Louie is rich beyond our dreams.
Thank you again, God Bless You, and let's bring Louie home!

3 comments:

  1. That is an amazing speech! I'm in tears! Sounds like a wonderful man and father, you all are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire evening was a wonderful success. I was in the kitchen and could not hear the entire speech. Thank you so much for sharing with those who could not hear it or were not there that night.
    One day at a time, sweet Jesus....
    Mary K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house...I couldn't even read it in the privacy of my own home without crying. I'm so sorry I missed it, and I hope the turnout was great! --K

    ReplyDelete