Friday, February 6, 2009

The Nurturer?

Since dad's arrival he has been very well taken care of. Of course everyone knows he has great surgeons, but his nurses are excellent as well. They gently wash his hair (I'm sure they know that his remaining hair is fragile), they shave his face, and of course they also take care of their other nursely duties. Last night they offered to let mom help comb his hair, shave him, cut his toenails, etc. Had he been conscious he would have spoken up against this, but it made mom very happy.

Whoever would have thought that the prospect of trimming toenails would be so exciting. She fixed his hair, but opted to let the nurse do the shaving. She was concerned that her shave job might leave him looking like he'd flown through a windshield. When she relayed this story to me, I was concerned that had she taken this opportunity we'd have to pull together another blood drive. Either way, Ruthie's nurturing side is coming out, and she has spent every night since the accident sleeping in the waiting area down the hall from his room.

Mom's never fancied herself a nurturer, but after being so well taken care of by the nurses mom's scared that when he is ready to go home dad will not want to go home with her. The nurse will be wheeling him out of the hospital to mom's car and he will be hanging on to her for dear life, begging the nurse to wash his hair just one more time. We'll be sure to tell dad just how strong mom has been through out this and remind him how well she's taken care of him.

Tracy and Sue

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how the gentleness of our souls come out in time of need! I have no doubt in my mind when your dad is ready to go home, he will grinning from ear to ear ready to leave those nurses.....
    I remember my mom spending every single night in the waiting room.....refusing to leave, and I wouldn't have been able to either. This diffcult time with make your family stronger, and although it will test your faith at times~ never give up, and always give it to God. My faith was shaken when my daddy passed away instead of being healed, but He has a plan and although it took me a while to realize that, I have.
    I truly feel that His plan for your dad is to be healed, and to come home to his family. I am praying for you all every day, I know what you all are going through.. Stay strong and faithful, God will provide the rest!

    ReplyDelete